Woodfin Greenway & Blueway Surges Ahead
Announcing a Project Expansion!
The Town of Woodfin recently announced plans to expand the current Riverside Park southward by almost four acres. Riverside Park is probably the most-loved place for recreation in Woodfin, and the expansion would roughly double the size of the existing park. This move will mean a generous park expansion project, much better siting for the greenway and the Wave project, greatly expanded parking, and a seriously needed environmental restoration to what is probably the worst eye-sore along the French Broad in Buncombe County. The Town is underway with productive discussions with Wastepro officials now. Look for this phase of the project to come out of the ground beginning in 2020, after the initial greenway and Silver-Line park elements have taken shape.
Updated cost estimates – including amounts required for the recently-announced Riverside Park Expansion – are currently at $16.8 million. With the recent adoption of the Buncombe County budget that includes a new $1 million to the project, fundraising gathered to-date is very strong at $ 12.7 million.
- $ 4 .5 million- Town of Woodfin Bond
- $ 2.25 million – Buncombe Tourism Development Authority
- $ 1.1 million -Buncombe County Government
- $ 4.0 million – Federal Transportation/Greenway Grant
- $ 245,000 – Private/Other Commitments
Project sponsors are continuing to pursue other promising grant and gift opportunities, but with a remaining challenge of about $4.1 million, much work remains.
Design Work is Moving Forward!
- Detailed design of the greenway section along the French Broad River is moving toward completion. Expect construction to begin in 2019
- Silver-Line Park is moving into the detailed design phase. A quick start to construction is planned by early 2019.
- Preliminary design work will begin in the next few weeks for the Beaverdam Creek section of greenway and the Expansion of Riverside park
- Preliminary design, hydraulic analysis, and surveying are completed for the Whitewater Wave project.
Save the Date for the Catch the Wave Celebration, October 3rd, 5:00 – 7:30PM!
Asheville Greenworks, Connect Buncombe, French Broad Riverkeeper/MountainTrue, Riverlink, and French Broad River Academy are coming together to host a grand celebration to support the Woodfin Greenway & Blueway. It will be a great opportunity to celebrate, to help the project surge forward, to learn more project details, and to offer your own suggestions. More information to come.